Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reality Check

Most everything I've posted so far has been roses and daisies, peaches and cream.  That's largely because I really enjoy my time here and am willing to overlook the inconveniences and difficulties in exchange for all the positives.  Lest you think I'm delusional and in the interest of enlightenment for those who are considering making the trip themselves, I will mention a few of the challenges.

1.  Sand.  I've decided the best way to explain to the kids God's omnipresence would be to tell them He's like sand.  This makes it very hard to keep anything clean.

2.  Rice, rice, rice

3.  There are a lot of different personalities that have to live and work together.

4.  Hot water comes and goes as it pleases.  You have to turn on the switch to the hot water heater 15-30 minutes ahead of shower time, but even then it's not reliable at all.

5.  The mosquitoes are bad this time of year.  I didn't notice it so much in July, but right now it reminds me of north Louisiana summertime.

6.  Lunch isn't until 1:30, some days 2:00, and that's late for a gringa.

7.  Most of the kids are easy to love, but a few make it challenging.

1 comment:

  1. 8. Having to wear sunscreen all the time. Nothing like getting out of the shower to grease up again.

    9. Not being able to flush toilet paper. Peruvian plumbing can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete