Thursday, January 5, 2012

Playtime

There's not much to report on the rest of today.  Kelly and I did go sit with the little boys while they napped.  Alejandro woke up first, so I played with him for a little while.  Eventually the others got up and all the kids returned from camp.  The rest of the afternoon and early evening was spent hanging out and playing with them. Dinner was something like a stew served over...rice.  Surprise!  I played a round of spoons with most of the volunteers while the others played euchre.  Look for some great video Kelly took today of me playing the aforementioned Bailar Game with Marita.  Now for some updates on kids. 

I got to spend a few minutes with the older Jorge today, and I'm glad because he's the only new kid since our last visit.  He seems really friendly.

I already mentioned how much Alejandro has changed.  It seems that his sister Rosita (age 7) is learning to talk, and I'm so glad!  She's still got a long way to go, but I can tell a lot of improvement since July.  It's got to be hard to learn to talk when you're missing all your front top teeth.  Rosita is very noticeably taller than she was last summer, too.

Baby Yessica is as cute as ever and is much steadier on her feet than she was this summer.  David said today that if they don't get any more little kids soon, she's in danger of becoming really spoiled, and I think he might be right.

Marita is looking older and is becoming quite the beauty.

I don't think of anything else in particular at the moment.  If anyone would like an update on a specific kid, let me know, and I'll tell you what I can.  I just listed above the ones in whom I already noticed specific changes since last summer.

1 comment:

  1. Today was a wonderful day for me. I spent the day with the little boys. Jose Luis, Alejandro, and Jhon. They are the most precious boys in the entire world and I wish I could bring them home. My heart is breaking for them. Jhon became quite attached to me today and was at my side for most of the day. When he woke up from his nap all he wanted to do was cuddle and I was more than happy to oblige. When he wasn't cuddling he had two of my fingers in his small hand leading me around the Albergue (orphanage)...really to no where specific. When I went and played with some of the other kids Katie came and found me with Jhon saying that he was asking for me. I think I'm in trouble.

    I also got to spend some time with Marjorie on the "see saw". She got a good kick out of my trying to even out the weight distribution and then getting stuck up high when she wouldn't let me down. She also got a good kick when I almost fell off of it in the process. It's surprising how the language barrier doesn't make a difference. If I don't know what they're saying (which is most of the time) they change their words or as Marjorie does use hand guestures to get the point across.

    Today was such a fun day and I'm looking forward to many more of them in the next couple weeks. It's been so much fun seeing the kids again and seeing how much they have changed even in a few months. Also the sun here is intense! It's been 70 degrees all week which back home would be awesome...but here...it might as well be 90 because the sun is so intense. I am officially becoming a lobster.

    *I'm posting this as a comment because the settings on this computer is set to Spanish and I can't figure out how to change it! Hope you guys read this! :)*

    ReplyDelete