Friday, January 6, 2012

Hanging Out

We picked up Filomena, the cook, while in town this morning, and she told me that lunch would be ahi de gallina, and sure enough, it was.  That's one of my favorites of the Peruvian dishes I've tried.  It's something like a thick chicken soup served over...anybody want to guess...rice!  I ate lunch at the table of Las Chispas, seated in between Sofia (age 10) and Brigitte (age 9).  I'm loving them both.  Sofia is so cute and will just come over and put her hand in mine.  She's really quiet but so sweet.

After lunch I spent some time in the house of Las Chispas.  The kids here are divided into four houses: older boys, older girls, younger boys, younger girls.  Las Chispas are the younger girls.  I visited for a while with the madre of that house and got in some good Spanish practice.   Then I played a game that was something like hot potato with Brigitte, Sofia, and Heydi.  We played some outside, too.  Kelly brought Jhon (age 3) up to our room at one point this afternoon, and he loved exploring a new space.  He's so inquisitive and got it into his head that he really wanted to see my pajamas.  He kept asking, so finally I showed them to him, and then he started asking Kelly to see hers.

This afternoon was a very relaxed, impromptu sort of day.  It was quite nice for a Friday afternoon.  Lots of volunteers were around, so there were little groups everywhere of kids and volunteers playing games or just talking.  I got to visit with Josue for a while.  He told me about his braces and said he was the first of his friends at school to get them but now everyone has them.  I'm glad for him.  He asked about our other Windsor Road Church team members, so I updated him on a few people: Emily and Camden; Brett, Jen, and Olivia Johnson; the Brooks (Josh, he asked about you specifically); Nancy.  There were probably more, but I can't remember past that.  It's neat to see how the kids remember people from our summer trips and want to know how they're doing and if they'll be back.

Kelly and I went over to the rancho (a building owned by the orphanage and used for several things including our sleeping quarters when we come with the group in the summertime) this afternoon because that's where she'll be teaching her cooking classes next week.  The gas to the oven wasn't turned on, so it turned out we couldn't do anything, but we walked around and went upstairs to see where the groups stay.  Our names were still on our doors from last summer!  I did not see our furry friends Raul or Amy Winehouse.  Speaking of furry friends, Treci seems to be doing well.  She still barks and runs to the gate whenever someone rings the doorbell.  She's got to make sure no bad guys get in.  I have not been around her when they've used the intercom, though.

Tonight Kelly and I went to Trujillo for dinner with a bunch of the volunteers. We had burgers and then ice cream.  The patties were super thin, so I had a double with a fried egg and papas fritas.  So good.  My ice cream flavor was lucuma.  You know it's been a good day when you had lucuma ice cream twice!  It was fun to just hang out with some of the other volunteers.

Also, tonight I met up with someone I hadn't really seen yet this trip: Mr. Hot Water.  It was good to see him, and I hope we'll get to hang out again in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment