Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another Day

What did we do this morning?  Oh yes, Kelly and I were kitchen help for Filomena, and Alex went into Trujillo.  Apparently, Filo doesn't like chopping onions and garlic because they make her cry.  One of the volunteers, Heather, bought her a food processor, and Heather, Matthias, and David were in the kitchen this morning teaching Filo to use it.  Kelly and I peeled and cut up watermelon.  Yes, we peeled watermelons.  The best part of that job was passing it out to the kids.  As soon as I gave Edwin his piece, he said, "Tia Shan, Tiocar" which was his way of saying that he wanted to make sure his Tia Sam and Tio Oscar got some, too.  So cute and he loves them so much.  We asked Filo if there was anything else she wanted to us to do, but she said the machine had done it all.  The rest of our assignment was supposed to be chopping vegetables, but they had done it all in teaching her the processor and playing with it.  I used the free time to call my mom.

Our next assignment was to spend time with the Chispas, the younger girls.  That's way more fun than it is work.  We colored with them for a long time and then made jewelry with the beads and stuff we had brought last summer.  Those little girls are so cute!  I made Rosita a bracelet, and Kelly made her a necklace, and she was so proud of them.

Kelly, Alex, and Bryson did a baking class this afternoon with the older boys and made cookies dipped in chocolate and cupcakes.  I helped do some of the dishes at the end.  Then I came back and waited for a meeting.  While I waited I hung out with some kids.  Towards the end, Consuelo had her head on one of my knees, Sofia was sitting on my other side, and Marita was playing with my hair.  I'm just glad she didn't play dermatologist on me.  The kids pointed out all my blemishes last week, though.

Then I met with Courtney, Sam, and the director Alex to talk about next summer's trip.  I am getting excited!  Dinner was leftovers from lunch and soup.  Lunch had been these veggie-patty-like things.  They had the veggies chopped up this morning and eggs in them.  Pretty good.  Filo had also made this good juice at lunch.  I supplemented both meals today with scrambled eggs.

After dinner I went with Ashley to the Tesoros house where she was leading a devotional.  The little boys were all in their pajamas, and Jhon wanted to know where mine were.  I swear that kid has an obsession with my pajamas.  If he weren't a 3-year-old, it would creep me out.  Jorge sat on one side of my lap and Jhon on the other.  Such cute kids.  They passed out good hugs and kisses on their way to bed, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment