Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day Camp

I got like 10 hours of sleep last night!  It was fabulous.  Kelly, Alex, and I were sent to day camp with the kids this morning.  It's just up the road a bit.  A group from Savannah, GA and another group from Jackson, MS come down and put on this camp every year.  They rent a facility nearby, and the kids love it!  It was funny to hear such southern accents down here.  Some of them were really strong!  Alex spent most of the morning in the pool with kids, and Kelly and I, along with a long-term volunteer named Elizabeth, each took charge of one of the 3-year old boys.  They were so cute!

The opening activities were songs with motions for the kids, and then they split them up into groups.  The little boys' group first had snack and then went to play games.  There was an inflatable slide and a trampoline with a big net and roof.  There were basketball nets and balls in the trampoline cage.  At first the boys didn't want to do anything, but after watching for a while, Jose Luis wanted to go on the trampoline.  I asked, and at one point they made all the big kids get out so just the little boys could jump.  They had so much fun.  Then I went on the slide with Jose Luis and Jhon.  They loved climbing up, but when we got to the top and they saw how far down it was, they were not cool with it.  Jose Luis was OK as soon as I told him he could go down with me, but Jhon kept whimpering.  There wasn't much of a choice, though, and I finally convinced him to come down with me and Jose Luis.  Needless to say, we did not climb back up.

Next was face painting, and then our little boys colored a bit and played on a swing set, los columpios as they call them.  We brought them back at lunchtime because they still take naps and the camp will only feed one of our workers.  I'm not disappointed, though, because lunch at HdE was lomo saltado.  Oh, happy day, oh, happy day.  We had to watch the boys for quite a bit after we got back while the adults were in a meeting that ran late, but the lomo saltado was worth the wait.  It's rice with papas fritas, which are like non-greasy french fries, beef and peppers on top.  I'm not doing it justice with my description.

Roberto, a guy who used to work at HdE and comes out to spend time with our group mission trip each summer, stopped by at lunchtime.  It was fun to see him again, and we're all going to hang out some on the weekend, I believe.  Look for a photo on facebook.  He took one at lunch and promised to post it.  Kelly and I are about to head down and sit with the little boys while they nap.  I guess the workers here have another meeting.  All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment